March 13, 2016
“Listen man, it’s been good catching up, but I need to go, I’m interviewing the county sheriff right now.”
Besides being the bad-ass who would ignore the county sheriff, mid-interview, to take a personal call, there is a lot to say about my friend Rob Burgess. He’s an award winning journalist, a memorable banjo player and a connoisseur of good books, movies, and music. Most recently, he became a podcast personality at The Rob Burgess Show, where he was insane enough to interview me for his first episode.
While the book and my travels figure prominently, Rob and I are good friends for a reason, and our conversation wanders wildly across a breadth of subjects.
- Books and movies about walking long trails.
- A Walk In The Woods
- Alone in the Wilderness
- The story of Jack – our 175lb Great Dane / Cane Corso and Leroy, our three legged long hair black cat.
- Our surprise at both having accidentally found ourselves living in the “Emerald Triangle” the geographic center of the California Marijuana Industry, the back to the land movement and why it lead to a renewable energy renaissance.
- Swan Songs. David Bowie’s BlackStar, J Dilla’s Donuts and the particular gravity of last works.
- Joseph Campbell and TedTalks for kids.
- A super funky outro.
Of course, throughout the entire interview, there are peppered references and anecdotes related to the walk. (And way too many UMMMs on my part.)
Thanks again, Rob and good luck with your new podcast!